Community First delivers the PHaMs program in Western Australia in the following locations:
- Peel (Mandurah), Rockingham and Kwinana
- Albany and Great Southern
- Bunbury and Vasse
What is the Personal Helpers and Mentors Program?
PHaMs is a free service that supports people 16 years and over whose lives are affected by mental illness.
What can the Personal Helpers and Mentors do to help?
PHaMs can provide a mentor to work with you to develop a personal recovery plan that will assist you to reach your identified goals. Mentors support participants to recover their hope, identity, self worth, dignity and connection with community.
What about the families and carers of people with mental Illness?
PHaMs can also provide support to the families and carers of people with mental illness.
What is mental illness?
Mental Illness is a condition affecting the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, relates to others and/or their surroundings.
If you are experiencing any of the following you might be experiencing an episode of Mental Illness:
- Confused thinking
- Long-lasting sadness or irritability
- Extreme highs and lows in moods
- Social and Family withdrawal
- Dramatic changes in eating and sleeping habits
- Strong feelings of anger
- Delusions or hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there)
- Increasing inability to cope with daily problems or activities
- Thoughts of suicide or self harm
- Denial of obvious problems
- Difficulty making decisions
- Unexplained physical problems
- Abuse of drugs and/or alcohol
Am I eligible for the Personal Helpers and Mentors Program?
- Are you over 16 years old?
- Are you living in the Kwinana, Rockingham, Peel, Albany, Lower Great Southern, Bunbury or Vasse Regions of WA?
- Do you have a diagnosed Mental Illness, or suspect that you have an undiagnosed mental illness that is limiting your ability to cope with your day to day life?
- Are you willing to address any alcohol or drug addictions?
- Are you currently residing outside of a psychiatric institution, or acute care hospital?
- Are you free from the management of the state judicial system?
If you answered yes to the above, then you may be eligible to participate in the Personal Helpers and Mentors Program.
Phone: (08) 9550 4577 or 9500 7130
Fax: (08) 9467 6184
98 Mandurah Tce, Mandurah WA 6210
Download the PHaMs referral form Peel – Rockingham – Kwinana
Phone: (08) 9892 6666 or 9892 6607
Fax: (08) 9842 5987
Unit 2, 63 Serpentine Road, Albany WA 6330
Download the PHaMs referral form Albany – Great Southern
Phone: (08) 9792 6777
Fax: (08) 9721 1300
Unit 4, 53 Victoria St Bunbury WA 6230
Download the PHaMs referral form Bunbury – Vasse
Emergency /Crisis Numbers
Samaritans (suicide response line) 24hrs: 1800 198 313
Lifeline (counseling line) 24hrs: 131 114
Police / Ambulance: 000
Mental Health Emergency Response Line City: 1300 555 788
Mental Health Emergency Response Line Peel: 1800 676 822
Ruralink (24 hour mental health service in rural communities): 1800 552 002